How to make a complaint

We’re passionate about delivering excellent customer service. However, if you are not happy with our service and wish to make a complaint, we have the following guidelines in place to ensure that this is handled quickly and efficiently.


The following organisations may also be able to assist you. Contact details are shown below. 



Ombudsman Services: Energy Ombudsman Services: Energy

​This organisation investigates complaints for domestic and microbusiness customers, if the complaint has not been resolved within eight weeks. The Ombudsman service is independent, free of charge, and DONG Energy will be bound by its decision.

Ombudsman Services: Energy
PO Box 966
0330 440 1624
Citizens Advice Consumer Service Citizens Advice Consumer Service

This organisation provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone, on their rights and responsibilities. It provides the national helpline for energy queries. Citizens Advice Consumer Service can be contacted at any stage of the complaint process.

If you wish to file a complaint with Citizens Advice Consumer Service regarding our services, please complete the online form here:

Citizens Advice Consumer Service
3rd Floor North
200 Aldersgate Street
03454 040506

​Complaints Procedure

Our complaints procedure

 Our complaints procedure



How to make a complaintHow to make a complaint

​In the first instance, please get in touch with us. You can make a complaint verbally, in writing, or in person.

Our contact details are:

DONG Energy Sales (UK) Ltd
5 Howick Place
0800 0568 101

Your complaint could result in:

  1. an apology
  2. an explanation
  3. the taking of appropriate remedial action by DONG Energy
  4. the award of compensation in appropriate circumstances
How quickly will we resolve your complaint? How quickly will we resolve your complaint?

Once received, we will acknowledge and register your complaint immediately, clarifying any details with you where necessary. At this point, you will also be asked for a preferred method of future communication and for the best times and dates to contact you.  

Once we have registered your complaint, we will aim to resolve any issues by the end of the following working day. However, if this is this not possible, we will take the following actions:

  1. we will contact you to let you know that we will attempt to resolve your complaint within five working days. If you have indicated that you will not be contactable during this period, we will arrange to contact you on an alternative date of your choice.
  2. at the very least, we will provide you with an initial response within this additional five working day period; and
  3. we will then aim to provide you with a more detailed response within a further 20 working days. 
How to escalate your complaintHow to escalate your complaint

​If, after 26 working days of us registering your complaint, it has not been resolved to your satisfaction, or if you are unhappy with the way in which we have dealt with it, you can request to have your complaint escalated to a manager. You can make this request verbally, in writing, or in person. In this instance, the manager will contact you within three working days to explain how they will attempt to address your complaint. You will be kept informed of progress at least every ten working days.

What happens if I am still not happy?What happens if I am still not happy?

​If we have been unable to reach an agreement with you after an eight-week period, we will send you a 'final offer' letter (known as 'deadlock').

On receipt of a 'final offer' letter, a micro-business* complainant can refer the matter to the Complaints Redress Scheme operated by the independent Ombudsman Services: Energy. You will not have to pay for the Ombudsman's services, or be bound by its subsequent decision. However, DONG Energy will be bound by the Ombudsman Services: Energy decision.

If you are not a micro-business and the option of referring your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman is not available, you will have the option of asking for your complaint to be escalated further to a senior manager within DONG Energy for further consideration. 

*A micro-business means a Non-Domestic Customer:

  • which is a 'relevant consumer' (in respect of premises other than domestic premises) for the purpose in article 2(1) of The Gas and Electricity Regulated Providers (Redress Scheme) Order 2008 (SI 2008/2268); or
  • which has an annual consumption of gas of not more than 293,000 kWh; or
  • which has an annual consumption of electricity of not more than 100,000 kWh