In February 2011 DONG Energy and Belfast Harbour signed a letter of intent whereby Belfast Harbour will establish a new tailor-made installation harbour.
Construction of the facility is now underway and will be completed in October 2012. DONG Energy will take on the lease in January 2013 and the site will be used for the construction of the West of Duddon Sands offshore wind farm in the Irish Sea.
• Terminal will be 221,000m2 (50 acres approx) and will have a 480m quayside
• Terminal will be divided into areas specific to turbine components/foundations
• Quay side will be able to facilitate up to three vessels at any one time
• No air draught or water depth restrictions (9.1 metre channel, post construction – 10.5m), i.e. suitable for future generation of offshore wind construction vessels
• City location hence good access to road network, airport and city amenities
• 24/7 access to terminal and right of passage for vessels